Sunday, July 24, 2005

Going solo

I don´t think I´d really actually considered how different travelling alone through South America would be until I first opened my guidebook on the flight from London to Buenos Aires via Madrid. Nonchalantly reading the "Safety"section, I came across `Rape - this can happen anywhere´ with brief advice to contact a doctor in the first instance to test for STDs and get emergency contraception...no mention of sympathy, emotional support or refuge!?! Anyway, it hasn´t been too scary, despite my limited Spanish - most questions I answer with a smile, blank stare and Gracias thrown in for good measure. And despite the over-cautious warnings from the guidebook - "don´t go to La Boca alone" and "best to travel by day because bus drivers work long hours and there is less chance of them falling asleep" - Mum will be pleased to know that I´ve felt quite safe.

Highlights/stories from my chilly 3 days in Buenos Aires:
  • Boca Juniors football stadium (Maradona´s sentimental home) with yellow and blue painted everywhere - the team´s originial colours were B&W but they lost a play off against another B&W team so the Italian port workers who founded the club chose their colours from the next ship that arrived in the port, it had a Swedish flag
  • Huge and ornate mausoleums in the alleys of Recoleta cemetery, where only the rich (including Evita Peron) can afford to be buried
  • Eating dulce de leche (caramel) in everything - cakes, bread, biscuits and pastries - I certainly haven´t lost any of my Heathrow injection weight yet!
  • Steaks for A$1 and then proudly ordering a "parrillada" (mixed grill) in Spanish, only to discover it included kidneys, intestines and blood sausage!
  • Witnessing the "Mothers of Plaza de Mayo" march in remembrance of their children who "disappeared" (taken by military) in the 70s
  • Feeling young again hanging out with the hostel crew - although I did go to bed at 1.30am every night, when they were all going out clubbing! Such is the Argentine custom of eating dinner around midnight.
After enjoying a deluxe flight from Buenos Aires to Santa Cruz (Bolivia), I wimped out of the 14 hour overnight bus trip from Santa Cruz to Sucre (Spitzy/Helga - memories of that nightmare trip to Varanasi still fresh!) because it was only A$67 to fly. I chastised myself for about 24 hours afterwards, especially as I´d accidentally booked on the 1pm flight instead of 9am, but the amazing views flying over Cochabamba and Sucre were worth it. So I´m slumming it now in a cheap hotel and eating from the market! The Spanish school isn´t open until Monday anyway, so I´ve just been exploring the white city of Sucre on foot. Although its the capital city, its a relatively small city (pop 150,000) and only at 2,790m altitude - I´m already finding it hard to breathe walking up hill and cold at nights, what will I be like in La Paz?!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nomes said...

Thanks for Melb update, Mel B!
Safe as houses here :)

Saturday, 30 July, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Nomes, dont worry about night time bus drivers in Brazil if you go there. The overnight buses are the best way to travel around. Make sure you get an executive bus though. 18 beds on the bus. Tops.
I'm getting jealous from your pics though. Keep having fun. Neb

Tuesday, 09 August, 2005

 
Blogger Nomes said...

Thanks Ben. Took my first luxurious overnight bus a few days ago and loved it, with the help of sleeping tablets of course!! NP

Friday, 19 August, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home